This page contains important recommendations and information about new features, limitations and tips for Time Matters 13, 13.1 and 13.2.
For detailed instructions and precautions, be sure to visit:
Conversion to TM13 Updates
Recommended - Update to Time Matters 13.2
I now recommend that almost everyone move up to the Time Matters 13.2 update.
I have tested Time Matters 13.2 and have collected feedback from other Time Matters Certified Independent Consultants and users. The only significant drawbacks for TM 13.2 are for users with earlier versions of Time Matters who rely on links to old versions of Word, Outlook, Acrobat and other old third-party products that are no longer supported.
To view the chart of supported and unsupported links to third-party products, see:
Time Matters Third-Party Product Requirements
Important improvements in TM 13.2 include:
- Microsoft Office 2013 Click-to-Run support (the MS Office software that is included in Office 365 subscriptions)
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 Update support (a major update to Windows 8.1 - you have it if the Search magnifying glass icon appears in the upper right of the Start Screen)
- MS SQL Server 2014 support
Important issue fixes in TM 13.2 include:
- Corrections to values produced by several Billing Matters reports, including Productivity Report, Write Up/Down Report, Effective Bill Rate Report and Recap of Hours Report
- Increased the character limit from 65,000 to 1 million for e-mails saved from Outlook to Time Matters
- Prevents some characters that should be invisible from showing up as symbols in e-mails saved from Outlook to Time Matters
- Fix to the "Updating Document Sharing" message (our work-around is no longer needed - it was published here: Speed Up TM Save and Connect as Email)
For important tips on TM 13.2, be sure to visit:
Conversion to TM13 Updates
Please also read the recommendations regarding Time Matters 13.0 and Time Matters 13.1, below. Many apply to Time Matters 13.2 as well.
Recommendation - Update to Time Matters 13.1
Important Upgrade Tips
If you do not follow these instructions, the conversion process from an older version of Time Matters might go very, very slowly (up to 18 hours or more depending on database size!).
Before importing the Time Matters data from an earlier version into Time Matters 13.1, take these steps to speed up the process dramatically and to prevent the bloating of the database log file:
- Disable Keyword Indexing in the previous version and run Database Maintenance.
- Use SQL Server Management Studio to change the Recovery Model of the Time Matters 13.1 database to Simple.
- Increase the initial size of the TM 13.1 database.
For detailed instructions, see:
Speeding Up a Time Matters Upgrade
For important Updates about features and issues in TM 13, see:
Conversion to TM13 Updates
Recommendation - Convert to Time Matters 13
We recommend that most Time Matters users upgrade to Time Matters 13.
The three key reasons for upgrading are:
- You want the efficiencies delivered by the new features in Version 13.
- You want to use links to Time Matters in new versions of MS Word, MS Outlook and Acrobat.
- You want to have the latest, most stable version of Time Matters.
New Features in Time Matters 13
Secure Document Sharing
Securely share or store documents in the cloud and access them on any device with full audit and tracking controls as well as the ability to revoke access. This new Client Portal is available at no additional cost to Time Matters Annual Maintenance Plan subscribers. It allows you to share and control documents with clients and third-parties across desktop, laptop and mobile devices.
Improved TM Messenger Performance
TM Messenger is a great tool for communicating with co-workers because it sends not only text but also links to new Contacts, Matters, Events and Documents. Version 13 improves TM Messenger's performance, which was inconsistent in some offices with older versions of Time Matters.
Programs Supported and Not Supported by Version 13
Time Matters 13 Support for New Third Party Programs
TM13 is compatible with new versions of software and services including:
- Hosted MS Exchange and Office 365 Exchange
- Virtual servers and workstations
- Windows 8 (and Windows 8.1 Update in TM 13.2)
- Office 2013
- Acrobat XI
Time Matters 13 System Software Support Differences
- Windows Server 2012 / 2012 R2 Supported
- Windows Vista - Limited Support
- Windows XP - Supported, but dangerous! No Microsoft updates for XP after April 8, 2014. Watch out for holes and hackers!
For Time Matters 13 System Requirements, see:
Third Party Product Support Differences
Note: Time Matters 12 Service Pack 2 added support for many current versions. Time Matters 13 ends support for a variety of outdated third party versions
- PaperPort 12 - Not Supported
- WordPerfect X4 - Limited Support
- QuickBooks 2009 - Not Supported
- QuickBooks 2010 Pro - Not Supported
- Tabs3 14 - Not Supported
- TimeSlips 2008 & 2009 - Not Supported
- HotDocs 2008 & 2009 - Not Supported
- HotDocs / Player 10 - Supported
- QuickBooks Data Import 2013 - Supported
- Office 2013 Click-to-Run - Supported in TM 13.2 and works with 13.0 and 13.1 using a work-around. (Click-to-Run is the version of Microsoft Office you receive when you click Open in Office in Office 365. You can install the download version of Office 2013 under your Office 365 license, but it is more complicated to do.)
For Time Matters 13 Third Party Product Requirements, see:
More comprehensive information on when to upgrade and how to convert to Time Matters 13 - More...