Time Matters 16
Read here about the latest developments affecting Time Matters 16. I will post my recommendation here based on my testing and the experiences of other Time Matters consultants.
Check here before upgrading to any new release of Time Matters 16.
Time Matters 16.3 Recommended
Dec. 13, 2017 - After a rocky series of earlier releases, I now recommend Time Matters 16 to most Time Matters client.
The current release is Time Matters 184.108.40.206. The significant limitations in Time Matters affect billing links to the latest versions of third-party billing software. Of course Billing Matters is built into Time Matters as an option, so Billing Matters is totally compatible.
Billing software versions supported by Time Matters 16.3:
- PCLaw 16.1, 16, 15.5, 15.1, 15.0 (Limited), 14.x down through 11
- QuickBooks 2017, 2016 Pro / Enterprise, 2012-2015 Pro / Enterprise
- Timeslips 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013. 2012, 2011
- Juris 2.8, 2.7x, 2.60 and up
Billing software versions NOT supported by Time Matters 16.3:
- Tabs3 - all versions (import only from 15, 41, and 12)
- Timeslips 2018
- Timeslips Premium
Microsoft SQL Server versions supported by Time Matters 16.3:
- Microsoft SQL Server 2016, 2014, 2014, 2008 R2, including free Express versions
- No support yet for Microsoft SQL Server 2017 (though it may work)
Microsoft Windows versions supported by Time Matters 16.3:
- Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7 (excluding Starter)
- Windows Server 2016, 2012 R2, 2012, 2011 SBS, 2008 R2, 2008, SBS
- Virtual Servers (virtual machines)
Third party software links (TMSave) supported by Time Matters 16.3:
- Adobe Acrobat and Reader DC, XI, X and 9
- Microsoft Office 2016 CTR and non-CTR (click-to-run), including Word, Outlook, Excel
- Microsoft Office 2013, 2010, and 2007 SP3 (limited support)
- WordPerfect X7, X6, X5
Third party software links NOT supported by Time Matters 16.3:
- Microsoft Office Home & Student, Starter, Personal, Trial and Office Online editions
- Microsoft Office 64-Bit in Terminal Services (Remote Desktop) environment
- WordPerfect X8
Limited Recommendation: Upgrade to TM 220.127.116.11
Aug. 1, 2017 - We recommend Time Matters 18.104.22.168, a Hotfix released today, for most firms. For our detailed discussion of benefits and issues, see our Time Matters Upgrade Guide and our Updates to Time Matters.
The main limitations now are:
- The link to Timeslips 2017 does not work.
- The link to QuickBooks does not work.
- Sending records (Events, ToDo's, Emails, ...) without previewing each one ignores the rounding setting, for example, round up to the nearest 0.10 hour.
If you do not need the Timeslips 2017 link and do not need the Quickbooks link, then Time Matters 16.2 is likely a good upgrade for your firm.
What Can Time Matters 16 Do for You?
What are your most likely reasons for upgrading Time Matters?
- You are upgrading Microsoft software (Windows, Word, Outlook...), or
- You want new fixes and features in the newest version of Time Matters.
If you skipped some earlier upgrades, Time Matters 16.1 delivers all the new features, tweaks and fixes from earlier versions. See our guides to those upgrades for the details on their benefits. You can purchase them at our store:
Time Matters Guides
Our clients are entitled to free upgrade guides.
New Features Added in Time Matters 16.1
Time Matters 16.1 adds:
- Automatically save changes to records every few minutes
- Set a Program Level setting so that any record you are changing will be automatically saved every few minutes.
- You choose the number of minutes.
- You need to save a new record once.
- After that, it will be auto-saved.
- A best practice is to manually save any new record, especially Notes, before you spend much time adding text or data to it.
- Mark multiple records Done or Not Done
- Tag multiple ToDo's. Go to the Process Menu and choose Mark as Done or Mark as Not Done
- Speed Improvements
- 25% faster Document Searching
- 25% faster Record Searching
- Support for Third Party Programs
- Intuit® QuickBooks® 2017: supported
- Timeslips Premium and 2017: supported
- Microsoft® Windows Server 2016: supported
New Features Added in Time Matters 16.0
The original release of Time Matters 16 added the following features.
- Microsoft Active Directory Integration
- If your company uses Active Directory, you can create a link between Time Matters and Active Directory that permits users to use one set of credentials to access Windows and Time Matters. Each Time Matters user can be mapped to an Active Directory account.
- Caveat: There were problems with this integration in Time Matters 16.0, but it is reported as "improved" in Time Matters 16.1.
- For more information, see Microsoft Active Directory Integration.https://lexisnexis.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/
- Calendar Detail View
- Display details for Events and ToDos together for multiple staff for a single day using the Detail View button.
- This feature duplicates the Classic View, for one day, that was available in Time Matters 13 and earlier.
- Microsoft OneDrive Default File Location
- Link Time Matters files to Microsoft OneDrive for storage and retrieval.
- For more information, see Microsoft OneDrive Link.https://lexisnexis.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/
- Monthly and Weekly Calendar View Update
- When multiple entries are added to a date that exceed the date's list space, a new fly out window has been added to display all the records for Events and/or ToDo's for a given day without the need to switch to the Daily Calendar view.
- Support for SQL 2016
- The free and paid versions of this release are now supported.
For detailed information on Time Matters 16, see our:
Time Matters Upgrade Guide
For important updates about Time Matters versions, see:
Updates to Time Matters Guides